The St Vincent and the Grenadines Hotel and Tourism Association (SVG-HTA) was established in 1968 to promote closer fellowship with members on the mainland and throughout the Grenadines, to promote good relations between hotels and business houses and to foster a good working relationship with the Government. We are a non-profit organisation registered under the Companies Act, chapter 219 and bearing the registration #114 of 1968.
Operating costs are supported by member's dues. In addition, the Association operates a restaurant on the upper level above the check-in counters at the E. T. Joshua Airport in Arnos Vale, St. Vincent.
Ninety percent (90%) of the member hotels are locally owned and owner managed. Member properties generally are small, thus providing a warm and personal service. The largest property has 178 rooms.
The St Vincent and the Grenadines Hotel Association is a member of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association (CHTA). The members of CHTA comprise small guesthouses and large resorts located from Bermuda in the North to Trinidad and Tobago in the South, from Barbados in the East to Honduras, Belize and Cancun in the West.
In June 1987, under the then elected president Anthony Sardine, the Association established an office and appointed Mrs Dawn Smith Executive Director. Prior to setting up this office, the association employed a secretary who was based in the Tourism Department.
As a result of lobbying Government, the Hotels Aid Act #16 of 1988 was enacted enabling hoteliers to import, free of duty and consumption tax, material for expansion and refurbishing of existing facilities. It also encouraged nationals to construct hotels of five rooms and over.
The Association at present is governed by an Executive Committee consisting of a President, Vice President and six Directors SVGHTA BOD 2008-2010.pdf. Committees are established to assist in the governance of the Association.
Aims & Objectives
- To promote co-operation, understanding and closer association amongst the management of hotels, clubs, guest houses, and other establishments in St.Vincent & the Grenadines catering in any way to the comfort and well being of the guests and patrons or to the Tourist Industry in general.
- To establish and maintain a code of ethics to be followed in all business dealings by all members of the Association whether between one another or third parties.
- To protect and support the members of the Association in matters relating to their trade or bussinesses.
- To stimulate and develop sustained interest in the St.Vincent & the Grenadines Tourist Indusrty at home and abroad.
- To liaise continuously with the Government of St.Vincent & the Grenadines and Government-sponsored bodies or agencies or Government departments with regard to matters affecting the Tourism Industry.
- To engage in, encourage, and support every form of publicity and advertising calculated to promote the aims of the Association.
- To establish relations with local and international agencies which provide assistance to the Industry through their various programmes e.g training.
- To make, alter, establish and to execute any by-laws, rules and regulations deemed necessary for the furthering of the objectives of the Association and for the good governance of the Association.
Our Main Focus
Training and Human Resource Development Advocacy, Product Development and Marketing and Promotion.
You may join the St.Vincent & the Grenadines Hotel and Tourism Association as a business, allied member or individual. To join click here.
Click here to view our publications
To view our publications click here.